Thursday, May 3, 2012

Thurs. May 3rd 2012  cloudy, overcast, but warm. Some plants love that, like my giant, thriving artichokes--carciofi in Italian--isn't that a beautiful word?  I'm firing my gas kiln today. It's great to see that heat surging out of the kiln. Sort of like the heat and steam that is generated by compost. It is magical, even alchemical in the true sense of the word's meaning; physical and spiritual. Heat is a great catalyst of inert compounds and of all relationships.  With pottery you take clay and make it permanent--it will last 2000 years or more. Some times I can detect the fingerprints of ancient potters on their pots. Immortality? I often wonder how the ancient peoples discovered that fire makes clay permanent (sintered), water resistent. With people you give openness and compassion, and responsiveness (eschewing ego power trips), and you create lasting relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment