Saturday, May 12, 2012

BE GENTLE TO THE EARTH__KEEP THE TEACHING PURE Sat.,12.5.'12

It is time to set out basil seedlings. You can grow many varieties of basil from seed if you plant seed late in the summer; this is necessay because basil seedlings damp off especially near our foggy, moist coast. So, for now, buy pots or six-packs of Basil (you know where I'm sure), divide the seedlings and set them out into pots, and then into the garden, as the weather gets warmer. Basil are members of the mint or lamiaceae/labiate family, and basil's genus is Oncimum, hence Oncimum basilicum.
   The word  'basil', the dictionary tells us, has a first pronunciation 'basil',  short a as in pat; and, a second way with long a as in base. One egoic so-called cook carped with me and said his way was the right way, and of course he never cracked a dictionary to look up the word. I wonder if he smells the roses---"a rose by any other name . . . ." I do look up words because I was a professor and scholar for 34 years. And I owed it to myself, and my students, and people in general to have integrity, I suppose.
   However, all this doesn't matter diddley, except for intellectual integrity, and when I smell that basil aroma on tomato dishes, I don't care how the word is said. Basil is the 'King of Herbs'. In Italian we say 'basilico' (accent on the o)which is very close to the original Greek word, as we shall see.
   Yes, the word 'basil' comes from the Greek 'basilikos' which means king or royal Our words 'basilica', the Roman building, and 'basilica' the Christian Church, come from 'basilikos'. Basil is of Indian origin the Hindus adoe it as tulsi the holy basil, and of S.E. Asia, perhaps, and it is highly revered. A basil leaf is put in the mouth or on the chest of a corpse to speed it on its way back into the arms of the Cosmos. Also, orators in Rome used to put a basil leaf in their mouths to speak eloquently and honestly. I think think that all world leaders, and senators, representatives, and politicians in the U. S. should grow basil and remember this cultural usage of ancient standing.Perhaps they would be more gentle and keep the teachings pure. It would keep their mouths sweet.  It's my blog, so it is my take to comment as I wish.
   There are so many varieties of basil. 'Genovese' or the big leafed var. is excellent and the most often sold in nurseries. Then, there are the purple leaved kinds, delicious. The S.E.Asian kinds are sold a lot nowadays--check out Home Depot. They have 'Thai' and 'African Blue' both of which are almost perennials, the latter growing to four feet tall and  being very pretty. Then there is 'Basilco fine verde' what the Sicilians and Italians call 'The Good Basil.' Well, we all have our opinions, I suppose. But, I think they are right! It has tiny pointed leaves and is hard to grow near the the "mystified", foggy coast. "Johnney"s seed catalogue has the most varieties, photos, and cultural instructions I've seen in print. Check it out. On line or send for the catalogue. Johnney is a true plant lover and teacher.
   Always put the basil in the cooking food at the very end of of the cooking. Basil is fugitive, fugacious, so you don't want  to cook out its flavor. Also, when putting it on hot food at the table, like pasta con sugo di pomedori, let the pasta cool a little bit so the basil won't burn and turn black.
   Basil has several true medicinal properties that I will not go into here, but I have to say that its main effect is that of calming. Again, good for the pundits and politicians.
   Well, enjoy basil. It, believe me, doesn't give a thought as to what you call it.  What' in a name, Gertrude Stein on roses,  I think. Simply grow it if you want to, buy it at the grocery and appreciate its leaf color, its succulence, it lovely aroma and taste. Boun'appetite! 
  

1 comment: